Sunday 6 May 2012

Veggie Seedlings

I start a number of my vegetable plants during the last week of April in my downstairs grop-op.  I typically grow from seed all my tomatoes, zuchinni, butternut squash, swiss chard, cucumbers and pumpkins.

Normally I sow a packet of tomato seeds in a 4`` square container.  When the seedlings develop their 2nd set of leaves I transplant them into individual cells of a seedling tray and bury them as deep as possible.  Although this method requires an additional step, the results are really worthwhile.  Roots will sprout from the entire length of the stem creating a larger root mass which will result in a more robust plant.


Kumato brown tomato seedling with 1st set of leaves.
 
Italian beefsteak tomato seedling with 2nd set of leaves and more.

Tomato seedling with visible roots.

 
Tomato seedlings buried as deep as possbile in seed tray.




This year, I planted beefsteak, roma and large cherry varieties that my wife`s sister brought back from Venice, Italy.  I also planted some regular beefsteak, brown Kumato and brown cherry tomatoes. 

I think the Italian tomatoes are going to be interesting as I never had a variety sprout as fast and vigorous as these.  The seedlings below grew about 3" in 2 days and as a result are rather spindly.  I suspect they will become more robust after transplanting into the cell packs.  Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment