Thursday 3 May 2012

Grapes Part 2 – Propagation

As I alluded in my first post about grapes, I propagated new shoots using fresh cuttings from this years pruning.  My best reference for the procedure was Fred from work; he has a lot of experience in propagated vines and is in the process of completing a vineyard of about 80 vines out in Osgoode.  But if you don`t have access to a Fred, the following is what I did to propagate my new vines.

While pruning the vines I pile the cuttings so that I can identify their bottoms (closest to the main branch) and tops (the tip of the cutting).  I trim each cuttings so that only three buds remain – making the top cut at an angle helps to identify the top.  I cut the bottom of the cutting very close or through the bottom bud.

.
 


Callusing is Key

To ensure your cuttings will develop roots you have to callus bottom buds.  The callus will appear as a bright white, fine, granular growth rimming the cut you made.  Roots will spawn from this callus.
 
Once a number of cuttings were prepared, I soaked them in water overnight with the bottoms submerged.  The cuttings were then bundled, wrapped in wet newspaper or paper towel (but not dripping wet) and placed in a dark plastic bag.  Heat is required to speed up the callusing and root development – simply place the bag in a place that has a constant temperature >80°F.  I placed mine above the television as it gives off a lot of heat -- many website references mentioned the top of the refridgerator.  After 2 to 3 weeks, the bottom buds will begin to callus -- some will have already spawned roots.  Because I was impatient I did not wait for all the cuttings to spawn roots; I planted each cutting in a container with one (sometimes two) buds above the soil level being careful not to damage the buds or roots.



I used black pails (with holes drilled in the bottom for gentle bottom watering) and a mixture of potting and garden soil.  I placed about 6 cuttings in each pail.  As long as they are placed in a warm spot (south facing window), it didn't take long for them to sprout leaves.  I`ll plant these babies towards the end of May when all chance of frost is gone.




















Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment