Wednesday 30 May 2012

The Garden is In

We just had a pretty busy Sunday planting the main vegetable garden. An overcast day with moderate temperatures was forecast but, of course, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky for much of the day and it was scorching hot, again.

Here is a general overview of the main garden layout (five 5x12' and six 5x5').  What you don't see is the bed beside the garage and the asparagus bed.  The furthest row of four beds (top right) belong to my neighbour.


We went ahead and planted 42 tomato (beef steak, roma, cherry, brown and black cherry), 4 zucchini, 24 swiss chard, 5 groups of cucumbers, 3 butternut squash, 5 muskmelon (cantaloupe), a whole bunch of onions, 1 pumpkin and a row of leeks (the first time). Last week I planted two rows of green and yellow beans and 17 sweet bell and 4 hot pepper plants. Throughout the spring I also planted 4 potatoes, 2 rows of carrots, 4 rows of peas and 2 rows of peanuts.

There is a tab at the top labelled May 27, 2012.  Clicking on the tab will take you to a page containing crappy photographs of the newly planted beds.  Like I mentioned, it was a very busy day and I was cranky because of the heat so I rushed the photos.  In the next week or so I will take some nicer photos so we can better compare month to month.




No comments:

Post a Comment